Friday, March 20, 2009

BSG Finale

From my vantage point, this finale was absolutely disappointing, but that's perhaps because I didn't watch the series over the course of years, but months. And there are still a lot of episodes that I haven't seen. Having said that, I'll give my two-cents. The first hour was exciting and tense, while the second hour tried very hard to be cryptic and give resolution at the same time, but it failed on both counts. Still, the stretch of episodes this season dealing with the mutiny was amazing, so I'll forgive and forget. No one made me watch this show anyhow, I just felt let down.
They should have ended on a shot of Earth after the jump. Perfect. Instead we got 45 minutes of outtakes from "Planet Earth".

I must say something nice, though, right? The special effects in the first half were top-notch and I would go as far as to say that the actual assault was perhaps the best space battle I've seen.

Gaius was exemplary as usual, but he had more to do this time around. I think he has the most interesting character arc on the show.

EJO was kickass in many scenes, but in the second half he became bogged down by the scenery a bit.

I'm feeling a bit over-critical right now. I need to watch it again.

2 Comments:

At 12:29 AM , Blogger Huge Larry said...

I think it would have creamed your corn more if you'd watched the whole series from the beginning.

A very large percentage of the last hour of the finale had to do with tying up loose ends and bringing things full circle, so you may have been missing out on some of that payoff.

I just posted on Cleansmanship about how BSG is my lifeblood, then I came here and read your post which dilled my hole.

That's OK. I still like you.

 
At 1:06 PM , Blogger marchhare14 said...

Yeah, but didn't you think a lot of the flashbacks over the last couple of weeks, and especially in the last episode, didn't really serve any purpose? Ever since the mutiny, I felt like they were just buying time for the finale. I liked the idea of bringing it full circle, but I feel like they didn't fill in a lot of the gaps. Maybe that's what "Caprica" is for...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home