Thursday, April 02, 2009

A few quick thoughts about video games

The police officer at my school continues to blame shootings on video games. *Sigh*

They should not make Bioshock 2. It's going to be made, but it's a bad idea. The reason we loved that game was because of the story and the originality, and most importantly, the grand sense of closure and resolution. (There were a lot of "and"s in that sentence because I've been reading Hemmingway.)

I can't decide which has a higher replay value: Fallout 3 or Oblivion.

Only 6% of PS3 owners have purchased Killzone 2 so far. (For purpose of comparision, over 50% of Xbox 360 owners have Halo 3.) That's ridiculous given this game's unbelievable reviews. I bet it's great. I don't have a PS3, but if I did, I'd definitely have that game by now. What's that? You PS3 fanboys spent all your money on blu-rays and HDMI cables?

Left4Dead is the most delicious ice cream I've ever had that's not ice cream. How long can Valve continue to kick everyone else's ass (beside maybe Bioware and Bethesda) in the game design world before they rest on their laurels and release an average game instead of one of the best games ever?

I hope my sister comes up to visit before my baby is born so we can have a marathon Super Mario World session.

Thank you, Rock Band, for letting me download the early-90's (Josh with acne and a high-pitched voice) classic, Ten, by that fucking awesome underrated band Pearl Jam. The backlash they faced was entirely undeserved, and I hope a bunch of kids download that album and appreciate it.

There's this thing going on around facebook about the best five games of all-time. That's a hard thing to do.

Off the top-of-my-head:

1) Super Metroid

2) Super Mario World

3)Final Fantasy IV (FF2 on the Super Nintendo)

4) A Link to the Past

5) Mario Kart

Half way through that previous list I realized that I was just picking the best games on the Super Nes, but I decided to go with it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home